The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save; He will rejoice over thee with JOY; He will rest in His love; He will JOY over thee with singing (Zephaniah 3:17).
Do not grieve, for the JOY of the Lord is your strength (Nehemiah 8:10).
Some people think unless something spectacular happens, Jesus didn’t show up for the church service. However, we know when we come together as the people of God, He is in our midst, for Jesus said, “For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there am I in the midst of them” (Matt. 18:20). In fact, He said, “Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world” (Matt. 28:20). So lift up your countenance (put a smile on your face!) and rejoice. The King of kings is always with you wherever you are, whatever your circumstances.
Not only is Jesus WITH you, He wants to live IN you. “For it is God which works IN you both to will and to do HIS good pleasure” (Phil. 2:13). “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” (1 Cor. 3:16). “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is IN you, which you have of God, and you are not your own?” (1 Cor. 6:19).
Is He your God? Have you been washed in the blood of Jesus? Have you repented of your sins? Are you putting off the “old man” (your old ways, habits, language, attitudes, desires) and putting on the “new man” (Jesus’ language, attitudes, desires)? (See Eph. 4:20-32). If so, you can confess according to Zephaniah 3:17: The Lord MY God in the midst of ME is mighty! He dwells in the midst of you, and He is mighty! He lives way down deep in your soul (in the midst—the middle—of your heart). He is the mighty God sitting on the throne of your heart.
God is mighty.
What does it mean for God to be MIGHTY in you?
He is all-powerful
- He is able to perform supernatural deeds deep inside your heart.
- He enables you to WAIT and be of good courage while waiting.
- He enables you to FORGIVE those who falsely accuse you, who betray you, who use you.
- He enables you to RESIST the devil thus giving no opportunity to him. It’s HIS enabling power—not yours! You would faint in the day of adversity without His power to sustain you. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Phil. 4:13).
- He is mighty!
He is all-sufficient
- In Him there is no lack, and if He lives in you, then He brings all His provisions with Him and shares them with you.
- “The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want (lack)…” (Psa. 23:1)
- “I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content” (Phil. 4:11).
- “My God shall supply all your (and my) need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:19).
- He is Jehovah Jireh, the I AM.
- He has provided.
- He is mighty!
He is all-knowing
- He knows what you have need of even before you ask (Matt. 6:8).
- He knows the number of hairs on your head (Luke 12:7), and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of your heart (Heb. 4:12).
- He is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy (if you permit Him to do so) (Jude 24).
- He is mighty!
He is always present.
- “Lo, I am with you ALWAY” (Matt. 28:20).
- He is present in storms of life (like the disciples tossed upon the sea).
- He is present in the fires of life–when things get hot, like He was as the fourth man in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshack, and Abednigo.
- He is ever-interceding for you (Heb. 7:25) that you will not bow to idols, not yield to temptation, not allow satan to “sift you like wheat,” and that you will endure hardness like a good soldier and not give up but be faithful!
- He is mighty!
If this mighty God lives in your heart, and sits on the throne way down deep in your soul, in the midst of you, then…
He Will Save.
- This comes from the Hebrew word which means He will ease your burden. Stay yoked to Jesus. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. He invites you to come to him if you are weary and heavy ladened (Matt. 11:28-29).
- If you are being crushed by the burdens you carry, you need to learn how to cast care on him (1 5:7).
- He will save you!
He will rejoice over you with joy.
- The Hebrew declares: He will enjoy you! He will say “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.” When He sees your obedient heart and your desire to let Him control your life, you really enter into the JOY of the How He delights in His people! His joy–not yours–is your strength (Neb. 8:10).
- He will rejoice over you with joy!
He will rest in His love.
- He has already paid the price for your salvation.
- The Hebrew word says here that He will hold His peace.
- He hangs onto the accomplished work of redemption.
- His love for you was so great that He gave His very life for you.
- He rests in that love.
- He is persuaded that He is able to keep whatever you commit unto Him. Commit your very life, your future, your family, your church, your health, everything unto Him. Now you can be persuaded that He is able to keep whatever you commit to Him (2 Tim.1:12). You, too, can rest in His love!
He will joy over you with singing.
- This is one of my favorite In Hebrew it means, He’s having a party!
- What is He celebrating?
- Your spiritual birthday!
- Your spiritual growth!
- Your victories!
- Your perseverance!
- Your faithfulness in times of stress, poverty, failures, disappointments as well as in times of joy and success!
- He parties with singing.
- He loves singing – especially singing over you with joy.
- In fact, Jesus stands and sings praise to God in the midst of the Church (Heb. 2:12).
Who is the Church?
- You are! Every individual who is born again is a part of the Church.
- Jesus sings out through you when you sing praise to God.
- He sings with the gathered Church when we sing praise to His Father God.
- He celebrates!
- He has a party with singing.
That’s why out of your belly (innermost being) shall flow rivers of living water; out from the throne of your heart; out from where THE LORD YOUR GOD DWELLS; where He is mighty (John 7:58).
- Personalize the scripture.
- Make it relevant to your life.
- Remember it: The Lord MY God in the midst of ME is mighty. He will save ME; He will rejoice over ME with joy; He will rest in His love for ME; He will joy over ME with singing.
“The Lord our God in the midst of you is mighty. He will save. He will deliver you”
- from all the power,
- from all the guilt,
- from all the pollution of your sins;
and when thus saved,
- “He will rejoice over you with JOY.”
- “He will rest in His love.”
- He will show the same love to you that He did of old to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
- “He will JOY over you with singing.”
- Your conversion will be a subject of peculiar delight and exultation to God Himself! There will be a more than ordinary joy in heaven when you come to God through Christ Jesus. (Zeph.3:17). [This is] the JOY of the LORD that is your strength (Neh.8:10c). (cf. Adam Clarke Commentary)
© C. Yvonne Karl, The Alabaster Box, Volume 08 Number 09 1993
Updated October 2019